The Role of the Horticulture Market Linkages Consultant
The Consultant will work under the direct guidance of the ITC SheTrades Gambia Project Manager and (s)he will undertake the following duties:
- Market Linkages in the Horticulture Sector: The consultant will work in close collaboration with the SheTrades Gambia team at the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment (MOTIE) to establish and strengthen market linkages between women horticultural farmers and buyers. Key groups of buyers include exporters, the Gambian tourism sector, procurement officers, onion importers, as well as other domestic buyers. In addition to facilitating direct linkages between individual women’s gardens and individual buyers, the consultant will contribute to strategic sector-wide linkages activities and contribute to the development of innovative (incl. digital) solutions to increase efficiency in the horticulture value chain.
- Capacity Strengthening of Women Horticulture Farmers and Their Federations: In close collaboration with implementing partners of the SheTrades Gambia project and the project team, the consultant will contribute to the coordination of training programmes for women farmers and their federations, including on agricultural production methods, market-led production, packaging and quality, as well as digital and financial literacy.
Travel within The Gambia.
- Excellent understanding of the Gambian horticulture sector;
- Good understanding of market linkages and the horticulture value chains;
- Experience in creating market linkages between horticultural producers and buyers would be an advantage;
- Experience working with and/or developing digital platforms would be an advantage;
- Experience working with human centred design and/or innovation would be an advantage;
- Excellent coordination and project management skills;
- Politically sensitive, culturally aware and diplomatically savvy;
- Ability to keep tight deadlines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with report writing experience;
- Computer literate in MS office applications (PowerPoint, Excel and Word).
An undergraduate Degree (BA/BSc or other). BA Degree in Agriculture, Development Studies, or a related field.
At least 3 years of professional work experience in the horticulture industry in West Africa, or other initiatives related to the consultant’s duties;
Prior experience coordinating projects or initiatives relating to the horticulture value chain, and/or the development of digital solutions in the agriculture sector is an advantage.
The consultant is required to have excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of local Gambian languages, especially Mandinka is an advantage.
Timelines & Application Process
Application deadline (extended): 03 January 2021 at 11.59 pm.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to SheTradesGambia@intracen.org before the deadline.
Initial contract for 6 months starting in mid-/late January.