Background on the Gambia Angel’s Network
Micro, small and medium sized enterprises are the main drivers for job creation. However, the sector’s growth potential is seriously hampered by the difficult financing environment in The Gambia. Credit to the private sector represents 14.7% of GDP, which is well below the regional average of 58.7%. Interest rates charged by financial service providers hover around 18% p.a. and require hard collateral. This makes it particularly challenging for start-ups and MSMEs in need of longer term and risk capital to finance their ventures.
Angel investment can help bridge this finance gap. A scoping of equity-based funding opportunities conducted by The Gambia Youth Empowerment Project (YEP) found that international and local investors are indeed interested in investing in Gambian businesses, but lack information about opportunities and/ or confidence in local institutions to screen potential deals.
In August 2019, the YEP Project Steering Committee approved that the project facilitates the setup of the first Gambia Angel Investors Network.
The role of the National Consultant
The National Consultant will support the Managing Director in setting-up, leading and managing the Gambia Angel Investors Network (GAIN). The national consultant will work under the direct supervision of the ITC Access to Finance Officer and the Managing Director of GAIN, and in close cooperation with the project team and partner institutions, in particular the Gambia Investment and Export Promotion Agency (GIEPA)
During the contract period, the national consultant will work in The Gambia with agreed travels to other countries. The national consultant will be housed at GIEPA and undertake the following duties:
Business Strategy Development
- Supporting in setting the overall vision and strategy for the network
- Contribute to the development of a sustainable business model
- Collaborate with regional and continental angel investors group on the set-up of the network
General Business Operations
- Supporting in reporting and coordinate the different activities with partners and the ITC team in The Gambia and headquarters in Geneva
- Developing and managing the strategy to generate a healthy pipeline of high-quality investments
- Execute the investment screening process
- Execute the due diligence process
- Refine and execute the investment pipeline management process
- Refine and execute the portfolio management process
- Manage the process for investment reporting
- Develop and manage the implementation of consistent communication to prospective investors, entrepreneurs and community partners
Member/Sponsor Acquisition and Retention
- Engage on a continuous basis pre-identified local angel
- Manage the implementation of consistent communication to prospective investors, entrepreneurs and community partners
Events and Investor/Investment Relations
- Organize and facilitate member and entrepreneur meetings and events
- Communicate with investor members and portfolio investment companies
- Deal sourcing and deal screening (Ongoing)
- Coaching of shortlisted companies (by August 2019)
- Organisation of 10 company presentations (by September 2019)
- Due diligence of companies pre-selected by angels (by October 2019)
- Finalize investment terms and negotiations and facilitate at least 2 transactions (by January 2020)
- Be confident and poised, and able to interact effectively with senior-level executives.
- Be highly motivated and well organized, and possess excellent communication, presentation and analytical skills.
- Be results and deadline-driven. The candidate will have a proven talent for writing, interpersonal relations and communications.
- Possess the ability to listen, assess and identify resources needed.
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Business, Economics or any other relevant areas.
- Have previous investment experience strongly preferred;
- Have experience as an angel/venture investor or working with an angel/venture investment group strongly preferred;
- Good experience analysing business plans and conducting due diligence on SMEs;
- Good knowledge of issues related to youth entrepreneurship and SMEs in general;
- Preferably with management consulting, investment or auditing experience;
- Preferably, have schedule flexibility to attend night and early morning events.
- Excellent command of English.
- This position is open to Gambian nationals only.
All interested candidates should read the full TOR of the position available HERE and send their application (CV and Motivation Letter) to the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission of applications is FRIDAY, 10 May 2019.
For any enquiries, please contact email@example.com