1.0 Background of Programme
The show will highlight the stories of a group of young Gambians that are making a living in The Gambia by investing in their skills. The show’s objective is to help change the general perception of skills training in The Gambia and champion TVET as a respected career path. The show will highlight opportunities in different trades including long-term career opportunities. It aims to motivate young Gambians to take up skills training as a matter of choice while also fostering support in their family environment. The primary focus of the show in the human stories that the viewers can relate to. It will include a mix of different profiles also in view of breaking through some (perceived) barriers related to gender specific roles or limitations for vulnerable groups (e.g. due to disabilities). The show will also provide a platform to inform the viewers about the broader developments in the TVET sectors including new opportunities.
2.0 Objective of the Show
- Change perception about skills by making a respected and desired career path
- Sensitize about opportunities in the Gambia particularly related to vocational and technical trainings
- Inform about developments in the TVET sectors at large including ongoing development support
- Inspire youth to take up vocational skills
- Gain practical insights about specific trades, training pathways and career opportunities in different sectors / professions
- Change perception of vulnerable youths related to opportunities in The Gambia based on positive messages and sharing of Made in The Gambia success stories
- Disseminate practical information about local training and job opportunities and how to benefit from them
- Showcase success stories of individuals in area of vocational and technical skills training
Break through gender and other stereotypes that potentially limit options for young Gambians
The production company will provide high-quality videos profiling each young person in each segment. With an overall infotainment feel to it, the show will combine educational and informative content. The series will focus on stories of young Gambians who are undergoing skills training or who have already graduated and are employed. The stories of the youths are complemented by the perspectives of successful Gambian who has typically made a career in the sector or can provide additional perspective and inspiration about the industry. The duration of each episode will be 20 minutes including a studio segment and a field piece profiling the person and the sector.
2 mins introduction of the show incl topic / sector / profiles
10 mins field piece including
Introduction of the person, trade and motivation (interview format)
A day at work / in training showcasing different activities, tasks, challenges (documentary style with explanatory notes)
Demonstrating accomplishment / skill – finished good / service. Possible testimonial from customer
5 mins recorded interview with an industry stakeholder providing further context about opportunities, ongoing developments, personal story, advice, tips and encouragement.
A one-minute outro with additional information about the sector / profession. Where to find out more info, institutions to contact etc.
3.0 Role of the Host
The host will undertake the following duties:
- Prepare script for each episode based on objectives and information with support from ITC staff
- Prepare interview questions, arrange interviews in collaboration with the production team and host interviews.
- Work closely with the videographer during production of episodes (filming & editing).
- Host all episodes of the show for the entire duration of the series
- Be able to speak English and at least 2 local languages
- Plan and organize logistics for each episode.
- Prepare video subtitles where necessary for the videographer.
- Scripts for episodes and interviews
- Hosting of 13 episodes of 25 minutes: 1-episode per week for the entire duration of three months.
3.3 Contract Duration and Timelines
- The contract will be effective from date of signing until the completion of the 13 episodes.
- Editing of first set of 7 episodes together with the videographer by 18th of March 2020 for review and comments.
- Ensure the final set of episodes are filmed, edited and sent for review and comments on the 10th of April 2020.
3.4 Terms and conditions of payment
- A fixed salary shall be paid through QTV by the end of every month, however the last payment shall be effected upon completion of all videos.
- ITC shall pay a DSA per night wherein there are travels upcountry requiring an overnight stay.
Deadline: 11th March 2020
To Apply: Kindly send a cover letter, CV and if possible (optional) a link of you in a video.
Send Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com